Monday, September 18, 2017

Young Author Interview - Medhaa Banaji

Many teens are interested in social media, their smartphones, the latest apps, and video games. That is why it is refreshing and interesting to meet one who isn’t. Medhaa Banaji is such a teen. At age thirteen, she wrote her first book, The Transmalians, fantasy that teaches teens the value of friendship and loyalty.  Never giving up on her dream to see the book published it happened when she was sixteen.  The book has been nominated for numerous awards and has won, The Moonbeam Award for best children’s book. 

I had a chance to interview her to learn more.

What was the inspiration behind your book?
I was inspired to write my book by both my parents and my 5th grade teacher. Over the summer of 7th grade, I began writing a short story, which later turned into my book. I kept working on my story, revising it, and adding more details. My book was inspired by my love of children’s fiction and fantasy.
 
What was it like to work towards getting your book published?
At first, it was very difficult to look at my work, tear it apart, and keep editing. Working with different editors, publishers, and illustrators took a lot of effort and getting rejected a few times did lower my self esteem. However, I kept persisting and hoping for the best with my manuscript. 

Why is it so important to have a book that teaches friendship and loyalty?
For younger children, reading a book that teaches friendship and loyalty is important so that they can learn from it and reflect upon it in their own lives. I think that deriving inspiration from a fictional story can be very helpful and a source of motivation. 

What advice do you have for other aspiring young authors?
My advice for anyone who is interested in writing stories, novellas, or any type of book, is to keep persevering and believing in their work. The key is to hope for the best and keep being passionate about what you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment